|Bow K Ranch is family-owned and operated by Dave and Dawn Bowman and their son and his wife, Andrew and Sarah Bowman. The ranch is located near Olathe, Colorado (a one and one-half hour drive from Grand Junction, Colorado). Dave and Dawn have been running
Gelbvieh cattle since 1983 and currently run 110 head of Gelbvieh and Black Angus, along with Gelbvieh x Black Angus and Gelbvieh x Red Angus (referred to as Balancers).|
The emphasis at Bow K Ranch is to produce moderate-sized (1,100 to 1,300 pound) cows that excel in maternal qualities birth
weight, calving ease, good udders, and adequate milk not to mention their docility. (See Female Page). Our foundation is built
on 29 years of AI breeding and quiet cattle handling methods.
This breeding season (for the 2013 calf crop), we have used the following AI sires:
- Red Gelbvieh: Independence which is a calving ease bull with good
all-around EPDs and Winthrop which is a calving ease bull with adequate growth and good carcass
- Black Gelbvieh: Mr. Bow K 904W calving ease and good all-around EPDs. Lazy TV Sam U451
calving ease, thickness, good all-around EPDs with added weaning weight. Black Impact, a
homozygous black, homozygous polled bull with calving ease and good EPDs. Mr. Bow K 120Y a
heterozygous black, homozygous polled bull with excellent calving ease and growth EPDs.
- Black Balancer®: Mr. Bow K 922W a Black Balancer® out of In Focus with good calving ease
numbers and carcass traits was used as a clean-up bull after A.I.
- Red Angus: Gravity Carcass and calving ease. Similar to Cherokee Canyon who we used
- Black Angus: Hoover Dam is a thick calving ease bull with good carcass and maternal
traits, and excellent EPDs for docility. Mr. Bow K New Standard W904 a long-bodied bull (calving
ease) was used primarily for clean- up on our Angus cows.